Thank you for taking the time to visit my site. I am running for my third term as Buncombe County Commissioner in District 3. District 3 includes the communities of Arden, Biltmore, Bent Creek, Enka, Candler, Montford and West Asheville, NC. I am asking for the support of my Republican, Independent and Democrat friends on November 3rd.
I strongly believe that the combination of education and infastructure are the building blocks for economic development and jobs. I will continue my support meeting the educational and recreational needs of our children of Buncombe County while protecting our majestic mountains and “mountain values”.
NC Legislature and local hotel association – job recovery act – results reported by Mt Biz Works. Five million in relief cost Buncombe county nothing. 350 small businesses, coffee houses, and ice-cream shops. 4500 jobs were retained.
I was pleased to be part of assisting with The Buncombe County Tourism Recovery Act by contacting Senator Chuck Edwards and acting as the liaison between the TDA (I am a non-voting member), the Hotel Association to make this happen.
Almost 4500 jobs were recovered with five million in grants to 350 small businesses. The legislature acted quickly to include this as part of a bigger COVID relief bill. To my knowledge, ALL of the local delegates supported the bill. (I spoke to a couple myself to be sure). The testimonials are real, jobs were saved, businesses reopened safely and I was grateful to be a calm voice of negotiation to help make it happen. See more
As your commissioner, I have been a tireless supporter of Asheville City Schools and Buncombe County Schools, teachers, students, and parents.
- Funding construction of Isaac Dickson Elementary School, Asheville Middle and Enka Intermediate School.
- Fighting for Teacher Assistants pay increase and presence in K-3 classes
- Supported supplement increases
- Secured Schools with radio and safety improvements
- Celebrated and promoted CTE programs and camps
- Serving on the School Capital Commission to ensure priority capital improvements in the city and county schools are completed
- Fully funded budget requests including 2020
- Fought for recreational assets including 4 new playgrounds for all Intermediate schools
These are a few of the reasons I have received the joint endorsements of ACAE – Asheville City Association of Educators and Buncombe County Association of Educators – BCAE
Helping Small businesses, preserving mountains – an avid supporter of protecting ridgelines and farmlands and approved the largest solar project at the landfill. Joe Belcher brought 10 million on investments on 47 county-owned builders.
Joe Belcher helped fund $25 million for building improvements at Asheville High School Read more…